Power Worship + PPT2007 + Firewall

Get help for techical problems or report a bug
isaclutz
Newcomer

Power Worship + PPT2007 + Firewall

Post by isaclutz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:59 am

We recently upgraded our version of PowerPoint from PPT97 to PPT2007 and have been experiencing some quirky behavior. We have installed the PowerWorship PPT2007 patch but it has not fixed the problem.

We are running Windows XP SP2. When we try to create slides, we must disable the default Windows firewall. If the firewall is not disabled, PPT2007 comes to the foreground but no slides are ever generated. When we disable the firewall, the slides are created with no problem. Is there some port that needs to be opened up in the firewall to solve this problem?

Thanks.
Nathan Kummer

DeaconDave
Site Admin

Post by DeaconDave » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:20 am

If you're using a modem/router for your broadband access, you should be able to set that up as a firewall - they're normally set like that by default anyway - and permanently disable Windows firewall.

If you use a basic broadband or dialup modem for internet access, then enabling PowerWorship in Windows Firewall - as you suggest - might work.

Check the info which came with your modem to see whether it provides firewall protection. If it does, then you're OK to disable Windows Firewall.

isaclutz
Newcomer

Post by isaclutz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:13 pm

It is not only a matter of securing the computer from the internet. There is a wireless access point on the network and so I would like a firewall to secure the computer in the event that our network were to be compromised.

Is the communication between PowerWorship and PPT2007 via TCP and if so, what is the port number?

Thanks.
Nathan

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:48 pm

PowerWorship uses VBA and OLE automation to control PowerPoint. Not really sure if OLE functions over TCP or ? Anyone know? I did a quick google search but so far haven't found the answer. Here's one thing that might work in the meantime: can you try adding the pwrwshp.exe file to the list of excluded programs (Windows Filewall > Exceptions tab), and see if that works. Note that I'm also running PPT 2007 on Win XP SP2 with Windows Firewall enabled, but PowerWorship (3.0.0.80) seems to work OK on my system, by default. I haven't heard of anyone having to disable Windows Firewall yet, but I don't doubt that it could be causing a problem.