Could not start power point. path not found

Get help for techical problems or report a bug
kmcteam
Newcomer

Could not start power point. path not found

Post by kmcteam » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Can anyone help? I cannot create my slides. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both PowerWorship and my excel powerpoint 2003 several times. I still get the same error message. Thanks

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Please check the version of PowerPoint 2003 via the Help menu > About ... and let me know what the version number is, on your system.

For example, is it 10.0 ? ... 11.0 ?

Also, please check the Windows registry and let me know if the following
registry keys exist (or something similar) ....

To access the Windows registry, go to Start > Run , and type "regedit" in the Run dialog box, and hit enter. This should bring up the Windows registry editor.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\PowerPoint.Application.8\CLSID

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\PowerPoint.Application\CLSID

If a similar registry key exists (e.g. somewhere under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\ ) please let me know what the full path is.

John

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Be careful not to delete/change anything when you have the Windows registry editor open.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:46 pm

I just realized you will get this error if you are logged into Windows as a user who does not have Administrative rights to the system (i.e. a user who is not a member of the Administrators group). This is a limitation of the program. If you are still interested in using the program and get past this problem by logging in as an Admin user or by adding your user to the Administrators group, please let me know. I suspect that is what is going on here.

cashwell
Newcomer

Post by cashwell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Although you don't specify the exact error code you got, I discovered that, if you had a previous installation and had selected a background you do not have on your new installation you will get the file not found error. Check the templates folder and make sure the template specified in powerworship Edit/Settings/SlideFormat/Background is present. Otherwise, change to a .pot file that is present and try it again.
Richard J Cashwell

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Great find/suggestion. Thanks for the help. I'll add that to the known issues forum.

jpickerell
Newcomer

Non-Admin User

Post by jpickerell » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:03 pm

You had mentioned that a non-admin user can't run PowerWorship. I've set up a new PC (using the PowerPoint version of PowerWorship) and didn't want to give everyone that helps with the media team admin permissions to this machine and am getting the file not found error. Are there any known work-arounds of giving write permissions to/etc to specific files/folders/registry/etc that would allow a non-admin to run Powerworship?

And just to clarify. The non-admin user can open PowerWorship and see the songs, it is just when they try to create the presentation where the errors begin. An admin has know problems running.

Further info
Error: ("Debug - \Powerpnt.exe", then Start PowerPoint Error - File not found", then "PowerPoint not Found - Please make sure you ahve correctly installed PowerPoint.", then nothing happens)
PowerWorship: Version 3.0.0.80
PowerPoint: 2007

I ran SystInternals Process Monitor to see if I could figure out something but didn't get anywhere. I did see that running as a non-admin there is a QueryOpen operation for C:\Powerpnt.exe, then C:\Powerpnt.exe.exe, then C:\Powerpnt.exe again. Of course that is not where PowerPoint is located. When running as an admin the QueryOpen operation is loading powerpnt.exe from it's proper location of "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\POWERPNT.EXE" so it appears that somehow not being an administrator does not allow PowerWorship to know the path to PowerPoint.

Thanks for any pointers (if there are any!) and let me know if there is anything further I can provide to assist.

-Jared

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:08 am

I don't know of a work-around for the limitation, except that you could possibly setup a login script to have the program launched as Administrator -- similar to what you can do via right-click > run as ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305780

But I'm not sure if Windows supports that in a way that you could have the Administrator password masked and/or encrypted instead of leaving it in clear text if you were to setup a login script for the limited access user.

Here are two other options I'll mention, in case either one of them is acceptable.

1) Add the user to the Power Users group, which might be enough. Note that I haven't tried this.

2) Switch to the OpenOffice.org version of PowerWorship, which doesn't have the Administrator account limitation.

I'll post an update if I come up with a valid work-around for PowerWorship 3.0.