bug?

Get help for techical problems or report a bug

bug?

Postby techidave » Sun May 30, 2010 5:37 am

I have noticed this before but will now take the time to report it.

If you make a typo in the name of the song and then later go back and edit it, it doesn't change the name. But if the progam refreshes it then shows 2 similar name songs in the list.

is there a way to just overwrite the original file with the new one? or maybe its by design??

i hope this makes sense.
techidave
Site Admin

Re: bug?

Postby JohnM » Mon May 31, 2010 12:43 pm

It's by design that the program uses the song title as the filename when saving the song to the file system, but I agree the resulting behavior is somewhat unexpected and can be confusing. Perhaps one option is to modify the program to prompt you with the option to delete the original song that was saved under the old title when it recognizes that you changed the title of an existing song. That way it won't delete the old song without the user realizing what happened, and there will still be a convenient option to create a variation/copy of an existing song. For example, you might decide to create a song titled "Song A (Short Version)" starting with an existing song titled "Song A" by simply editing Song A and changing the title, etc.
JohnM
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Mon May 31, 2010 12:49 pm

On second thought, the (Short Version) example is maybe a bad example of the usefulness (if any) of the existing behavior - because you probably wouldn't want to project (Short Version) , or something similar, as part of the song title, which is what would happen if you included it in the title -- unless of course you manually updated the generated slides and removed (Short Version) from the title slide.
JohnM
Site Admin

Postby techidave » Mon May 31, 2010 3:47 pm

I understand I think why you did it but yes it is confusing to me of how it works. There are a couple of songs that we sing that I have put like "song A v3" with v3 standing for version 3. 98% of our songs are out of a hymnal but on occasion we have conflicts with the names being the same as some of the praise songs.

Is there anyway for the song list in the main window to show version or "short" or "long" in the window but not display on the slide? I do like the idea of having them in a .txt format, makes it easy to go back and look at them if need be.

Another thing would be for the song list to auto refresh and now that the last song being created or edited is highlighted, then one might be more apt to notice 2 songs with similar names. I some times wish the number of songs listed would auto refresh faster than it does too.

Dave
techidave
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Mon May 31, 2010 5:05 pm

techidave wrote:Another thing would be for the song list to auto refresh

Not sure what you mean by auto refresh in this context. The list does auto-refresh when you add a new song, etc. so I assume you don't mean that. Please comment on when the auto-refresh should take place. i.e. in response to which user event

techidave wrote:I some times wish the number of songs listed would auto refresh faster than it does too.

I haven't noticed any problems with this, but I haven't tested it with very many songs in the library. I assume you are referring to the number of songs listed when you enter a keyword(s) in the Find Song box, but please confirm. How many songs do you have in total? Also, how long (in seconds) on the average does it take to refresh? Is it consistently slow, or only some of the time?

Adding support for song versioning and at minimum allowing you to specify a separate "Save As" name is certainly possible and would be a good enhancement.
JohnM
Site Admin

Postby techidave » Mon May 31, 2010 5:16 pm

maybe auto refresh isn't the best choice of words, but a quicker refresh. I have about 400 songs in my library. The number of songs shown next to the find song box is the place I was talking about. This number may be refreshing faster than it used to with the 80 version. it seems like then you had to close the program and re open it before it changed.

as for the song list, I don't remember what kind of delay it had the other day when I reported this problem but it wasn't very long.

But with the last song edited or created now being high lighted it sure makes it easier to notice the similar name songs than it used to be.

I will try to remember to be more aware of the delays when I do this week's songs and let you know.
techidave
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Mon May 31, 2010 9:50 pm

I took a stab at resolving this by adding a Save As option to the song editor.

I also updated the song editor so that when you edit an existing song and change the title (e.g. in the type-O scenario you mentioned) you will be prompted to delete the old song that was saved under the old title.

I zipped up the updated pwrwshp.exe and uploaded to the following location.

http://www.powerworship.com/download/te ... wrwshp.zip

If you get a chance to try it out - backup your existing pwrwshp.exe file, download the zip, unzip, and replace your existing pwrwshp.exe, and let me know what you think. I did some basic testing, but please let me know if you encounter any strange behavior, bugs, etc. and/or have any suggestions for improvement.
JohnM
Site Admin

Postby techidave » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:22 am

I will install it tonite. thanks John.
techidave
Site Admin

Postby techidave » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:06 pm

techidave wrote:I some times wish the number of songs listed would auto refresh faster than it does too.

I haven't noticed any problems with this, but I haven't tested it with very many songs in the library. I assume you are referring to the number of songs listed when you enter a keyword(s) in the Find Song box, but please confirm. How many songs do you have in total? Also, how long (in seconds) on the average does it take to refresh? Is it consistently slow, or only some of the time?
[/quote]

I did add a song tonite and it never did refresh. I restarted the program and it then refreshed (showed 393). By the way I was using the new file with the save as added to the editor window.
techidave
Site Admin

Postby techidave » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:08 pm

by the way my "songs" folder is only 277kb in size. i will upload my folder to you if you want to experiment with more songs.
Attachments
Songs.zip
(172.84 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
techidave
Site Admin

Postby techidave » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Ok, I tried the save as checkbox. But if I choose NO to delete the original song, it doesn't let me keep it with the new name. Now I don't know for sure but I think it saved it anyway.

But maybe I don't understand how this feature is suppose to work. :?
Attachments
Screenshot - 6_4_2010 , 9_41_07 PM.png
show several songs he has mad me glad(1) also.
Screenshot - 6_4_2010 , 9_41_07 PM.png (23.2 KiB) Viewed 11743 times
Screenshot - 6_4_2010 , 9_38_01 PM.png
shows what song is being deleted if choosing yes
Screenshot - 6_4_2010 , 9_38_01 PM.png (109.35 KiB) Viewed 11743 times
techidave
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi Dave,

I think I misunderstood your original comments about the refesh. It sounds like it is only the number field (e.g. 393, etc.) that is not refreshing (until you restart the program) and the list of songs is refreshing OK in that you see the newly added song listed. I was able to easily reproduce the problem with the number field and that is indeed a bug and it should be easy to fix.

Regarding the save as feature, you answered No when prompted to delete the original song and so it didn't delete the song that was previously saved under the previous file name, and so "He Has Mad Me Glad" is still in the list, in addition to the song saved under the new filename, "He Has Mad Me Glad1". Judging by the screen capture you provided I think it is working as designed. If you had answered yes, the song named "He Has Mad Me Glad" would have been deleted and you would have been left with only ""He Has Mad Me Glad1".

I'm not sure what you mean by
> "it doesn't let me keep it with the new name"
since the file appears to be saved under the new name - judging by the screenshot.

Are you able to work with the file under the new name "He Has Made Me Glad1" ? I'm not sure I understand the problem.

In any case, if the current implementation and/or message on the dialog box (when you are prompted to delete the original song, under the old name) is confusing, I can make changes before releasing the update. Thanks for testing it out. At minimum, I will probably change the "Save As" label to something more specific so users don't have to understand that the song is saved with the Title as the filename, by default, for the feature to make sense. I agree the current implementation is confusing.
JohnM
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi Dave,

I changed the text on the confirmation dialog (that is displayed when you change the title, or when you set the Save As value) to help with the usability of this feature.

ConfirmDelete_Dialog.jpg
ConfirmDelete_Dialog.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 11738 times

I also added some descriptive default text to the Save As field. The default text will be displayed only when the field is not in use and has not been set by the user.

SaveAs_DefaultText.jpg
SaveAs_DefaultText.jpg (129.22 KiB) Viewed 11738 times

You can get the update to the new version, here

http://www.powerworship.com/download/te ... wrwshp.zip

Replace the existing pwrwshp.exe as before. If you get a chance to try it out, please let me know what you think.
JohnM
Site Admin

Postby techidave » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:55 am

Those sound like good improvements. I will download and try it out this week.

thanks a bunch!

dave
techidave
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:49 pm

The feature/fix for this is now available in version: 3.0.0.83, which is now available for download.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=493
JohnM
Site Admin

Return to Technical Issues