OpenOffice Version Progress?

General discussion forum
NACarter
Power User

OpenOffice Version Progress?

Post by NACarter » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:11 am

Any news on the OpenOffice version? It's been quite some time since I last looked here, but still eagerly wait for the new version. I use PowerWorship every week to produce presentations for use on Sundays, and we use OpenOffice at the church. It would be great to be able to run PowerWorship there when needed.

Nick

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:09 pm

Hey Nick,
Not much progress in the past 6 months. I recently moved cross country and started a different job so just getting settled in. I'm about ready to resume work on the OpenOffice version, however. I just came back to the site today to see if there's been much activity. Sorry for the tardy reply. At the rate I'm going, I probably won't have a beta version ready until at least May, but thanks for your continued interest. I'll be sure to let you know when I have something that works.

John

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:15 am

Hi Nick,
Just wanted to update you on my progress (or lack thereof).

I posted an update for another user on this thread:
http://mysak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

The net is that I've set a deadline for myself of 2/1/06
for getting a beta release out the door.

I'd appreciate your prayers that I make time to work on this and that the time I do spend is productive!

john

NACarter
Power User

OpenOffice Version

Post by NACarter » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:45 am

Thanks John. I look forward to testing it out.

Nick

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:25 am

just a quick update ...

The Lord has allowed me to make good progress on the OpenOffice edition of PowerWorship over the past several weeks (in my spare time).

Right now, it looks like I will have at least a beta version available by Feb 1.

- john

NACarter
Power User

OpenOffice

Post by NACarter » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:38 am

That sounds good John. I look forward to seeing it.

Nick

jpickerell
Newcomer

Post by jpickerell » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:49 pm

Just thought I'd see how things were comming along.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:22 am

Hi. thanks for checking in! Well, the good news is that it is definitely coming along. I have a working program, that can generate slides using OO 1.1 and 2.0, I just need to work on the formatting options, and create some sort of Installation program or document the install process - for the Beta release.

The bad news is, I don't think I will be able to deliver a beta version on Feb 1. I think it will be later in Feb or possibly into March - depending on how things go, and on how much time I'm able to work on it.

john

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:29 am

one more thing...

I think what I may end up doing is go ahead and try to get something out for people to use/abuse and send me their comments, but leave out some of the features such as selecting a background template from PW instead of afterwords via OO., etc.

I had hoped to work some of the enhancement requests (that have been posted on this forum) into the first beta release, but that is probably not going to happen. What I can do is deliver something that works and then keep adding to it - in shorter release cycles (e.g. once a month come out with an update that delivers new function).

any thoughts?

jpickerell
Newcomer

Post by jpickerell » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:01 am

I think that's great that you have what you have! I wouldn't worry about waiting to release the beta until after you have all of the functionality in it that you want. I think users, at least speaking for myself, would love to start testing whatever functionality you have right now (or as soon as you feel you can release some of the program. We know it is a beta and not feature complete but we could at leaste see where we're heading with this new version and start providing feedback if you would like. Even if we have to do some manual installation, I think there would be users ready to start testing. I think releasing an updated version every few weeks, or whenever you feel you've made some progress, with new features/bug fixes sounds great.

Thanks again John!

God bless
-Jared

(PS. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas season)

NACarter
Power User

Post by NACarter » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:46 am

I agreed with Jared, John. Getting something out for testing would be great.

Nick

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:50 am

Just thought that I would check in and see how things were going.

Jared

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:46 am

Hi Guys,
The program has been at a stand-still for the past couple of weeks (been really busy), but I hope to pick it up again next week and try to have something ready to start testing by March. I basically have something that works (with minimal function), I just need time to create an install program and put together some instructions until more of the install can be automated.

John

jpickerell
Newcomer

Post by jpickerell » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:19 pm

John,

Thanks for the update. I definitely understand being busy. Glad to see you put v3 back up for download. Hopefully somebody with some VB coding skills will pick it up. Now that you're working on the OpenOffice version, I'm sure there will be many who will still want the PowerPoint version. If we could just find some coders to help out. Well, keep up the good work and am looking forward to the new version when you have it ready!

Jared

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:24 pm

Hi Guys,
I didn't get as far as I would have liked., but I have something that works - if you want to help test it.

There's no install program, but if you have any problems with the setup just let me know.

See http://mysak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49

I'm going to have to take a break from this for a while, but hopefully I'll be able to work on it some more this Spring/Summer.

- John