pW 3.x: Transfering and backing up songs and groups

Productivity tips for PowerWorship

pW 3.x: Transfering and backing up songs and groups

Postby JohnM » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:33 pm

Transfering and Backing Up Songs and Groups

To transfer songs and groups to another computer, export them from the source computer and import them on the destination computer. See below for detailed export and import instructions.

To backup your songs and groups, export them and copy the PowerWorship Archives to an external disk.

Exporting and Importing Songs and Groups

To Export Songs:
1) Choose File menu > Export and Import.
2) Select "Export Songs to PowerWorship Archive".
3) Click Next.
4) Select individual songs by holding down the Ctrl key while selecting them with the mouse OR choose Select All to export all songs.
5) Click Next.
6) Choose a location to export the songs to and enter a filename for the PowerWorship archive or accept the default filename.
7) Click Save.

To Import Songs:
2) Select "Import Songs from PowerWorship Archive".
3) Click Next.
4) Select the PowerWorship Archive (*.cab file) that you want to import Songs from.
5) Click Open.

To Export Groups:
2) Select "Export Groups to PowerWorship Archive".
3) Click Next.
4) Select individual groups by holding down the Ctrl key while selecting them with the mouse OR choose Select All to export all groups.
5) Click Next.
6) Choose a location to export the groups to and enter a filename for the PowerWorship archive or accept the default filename.
7) Click Save.

To Import Groups:
2) Select "Import Groups from PowerWorship Archive".
3) Click Next.
4) Select the PowerWorship Archive (*.cab file) that you want to import Groups from.
5) Click Open.

NOTE: When exporting songs be sure to include "song" in the filename so you will know it is a song archive and not a group archive. Include "group" in the filename when exporting groups for the same reason. PowerWorship will not stop you from trying to import songs from a group archive and vice-versa.
JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Transfering and backing up songs and groups

Postby arte » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 pm

IMport from old hard drive? Can you help i had in past tense on another computer spent three years creating song files. My processor failed and now have a new computer and of course no more power worship 3.3.0.80. I have old hard drive but the new version of power worship will not recognize that there are any files stored in the songs folder from 3.0.0.80. can i get those files to import to the newer version . i have used the import export tab but when i get to the songs folder on old drive in the 3.0.0.80 program files it shows up empty. I know the data is there because note pad will open them. can you help?
arte

Re: Transfering and backing up songs and groups

Postby JohnM » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:37 pm

If you have the song files, but no .cab archive, you can simply copy the song files to the PowerWorship /Songs folder, using Windows Explorer. To access the /Songs directory, first check the path in the PowerWorship settings (Edit menu > Settings, Environment tab), and then copy and paste the song path into the Windows explorer address box.

Note that the default song folder location on Windows 7 (for PowerWorship 3.2) is C:/ProgramData/PowerWorship/pW3/Songs. On Windows XP, the folder is under C:/Documents and Settings.

Once you have copied the song files (*.txt), restart PowerWorship, if needed.

If you have old group files, note that you can copy them into the PowerWorship /Groups folder.
JohnM
Site Admin

Return to Tips and Tricks